Thursday, March 14, 2013

On Being a Bestselling Author

How does it feel to be a bestselling author (as defined by Amazon)?

About as good as it feels to get a gold star in Kindergarten...if you have to keep saying, "as defined by Mr. Amazon".



I guess I don't have to keep saying that my books are bestsellers in specific categories, but well, I always do specify so that when someday I climb the ranks to the next more general category, I get to be excited all over again!

According to Amazon, my first nonfiction work, Overcoming Math Anxiety and How to Be Successful in Mathematics has consistently been in the bestseller list of math study and teaching since it entered that category last November. Actually, as far as I can tell, the only time it's not on that bestseller list is when I am offering a free promotion of it.

More exciting is when it breaks into the math bestseller list (to the uninitiated, the more general the category, the more "prestigious", or at least more difficult to break into). This has happened several times since the release of my second nonfiction work a few weeks ago, and several times over the course of the last 5 months (normally in the days and week after a free promotion).

And the follow-up to Overcoming Math Anxiety, Arithmetic and Number Sense: The 'Basics' of Math We Are Never Taught has also been on the bestseller list of math study and teaching as well as the arithmetic bestseller list. 

I hope no one thinks I can quit my day job now. Just like that gold star doesn't mean you can have all the candy that you want and have recess all day, being a "bestseller" is mostly just something to point to and go, "Hey, looks like I'm doing a good job!"

In order to be #1 overall on Kindle, we are talking about selling thousands of books a day. If that ever happens with any consistency, then yes, I will be able to quit my day job. In fact, I'd probably be able to quit my day jobs if I maintained top 100 overall status on my $0.99 eBook and would at least be able to quit one of the three if I could maintain top 500 status (although these are more wishful fantasies than anything at this stage).

I'm thrilled that I am able to have any books on any bestseller list (let alone two at the same time and consistently for as long as they've been out — really, consistency is pretty rough with Amazon (which updates hourly)) and I can't wait to get even more. I would like to have the first 9 nonfiction entries out of Zero Angel's Mathematics by the end of next year, and I can't wait to get every single one of them on the bestseller list at the same time!

I really cannot wait to see something happen with the fiction entries though. I continue to work with them and am hopeful for some progress this summer (along with more prequels, transitionquels, and sidequels being released, a print edition (finally) of Throne, and commissioned cover art for all the books).

Anyway, this has been your random rumination for the day. Maybe the next blog won't be so self-absorbed?