Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Music Confession

I realize he's right up there with the rest of the musical pillars or whatever, but I cannot, cannot, cannot STAND Bob Marley.


I listen to The Summit which is a local public radio station that has completely changed the way I consume music and increased my satisfaction of listening to the radio tenfold since I discovered it.

I only have two complaints: Dave Matthews Band and Bob Marley.

Now, I can tolerate 1-2 DMB songs per month, and sometimes if I'm not actively listening I won't even notice it's on for half a song or so, but Bob Marley is one of the worst. No matter if I'm listening or not, the moment the first few strands of the song filter over the speakers I am filled with nausea and overcome with loathing. I can't even make it to any singing parts of the songs. They're irredeemable.

I tried listening to them when I first found the Summit, I thought of it as eating my musical vegetables. I know I should appreciate the music but I don't. I can't.

I had heard Marley before obviously and I never had such a strong reaction, but that was maybe once a year at the most. It's like nails on a chalkboard now. The revulsion I feel when it comes on is a stronger reaction than anything I've ever felt towards music.

I've always thought of myself as a guy that likes everything. Apparently I'm wrong. Bob Marley has shown me this.