Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sci-fi Movie Review: "Star Trek: Into Darkness"

I'm not a Trekkie. I could never really get into (or stand) the television shows in any of their incarnations.

That said, I have enjoyed a few of the movies based on the TV shows and I wouldn't mind watching the ones I haven't seen. Similarly, if there was a "best of" Star Trek where all of the filler episodes were removed and it was boiled down to the essential bits, then I would probably not mind watching that either.

Anyway, I did enjoy the previous reboot movie (found here). This is the inevitable sequel, and it stands up for itself as well:


For a majority of this movie, there's really not much heart. There's action out the wazoo, and it is nearly always incredibly good action as well. And as a sci-fi action movie, it's great.

The action is impeccable and I have no complaints. They even strove to involve some emotional responses there near the end and that was welcome as well.

But this is not the type of movie that is going to stay with you for the rest of your life. It is not going to cause you to weep and it might not even inspire you in the way that heroism usually should. It's just good sci-fi action.

Zero Review: 8.0/10, B-