Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I support the ACA

Is that a surprise?

You may remember this, The Cogs of Academia, where I commented on the fact that I went from working over 60 hours a week to just under a 29 hour per week average (for YSU). They even lowered it again so that now I am working ~22 hours per week average (~35.7 hours per week during school).

And you might be saying, what is this guy thinking?

Well, a few things.

(1). The ACA helps everyone, including me, my fiancee and even the government and the debt, and yes, even health insurance companies (not that I really think they need any help).

(2). Even if I have suffered personally so far from the implementation of this law (thus far), it still would have been the right thing to do. That's why I pay taxes also. Yes, I do benefit from the government, but it is also the right thing to do for everyone. I am very much a believer in doing what's right.

(3). Although I wish that Obama and the Democratic Congress would have had the gall to enact Hilarycare instead of Romneycare, I don't blame Obama OR the ACA for having my hours cut. I blame the people that cut the hours: the people in charge at my jobs.

I just wanted to share a couple of REAL-QUICK and easy conclusions from calculations that you may have missed in that previous blog.

When I was working full-time at YSU and AIPOD, I generated ~170K dollars at YSU per year and ~497K dollars at AIPOD.

There, was that quick? Too quick to notice? 

I was working full-time at both places, although AIPOD ended up cutting the hours before a full year went by. Full-time at YSU meant that I made an EXTRA 170 THOUSAND dollars MORE than what it cost to employ me. 170 THOUSAND DOLLARS. That's not worth healthcare?

I've worked full-time at YSU since 2010. That's 510 THOUSAND DOLLARS that I made them through 2012. This year, they enacted the cuts (a year earlier than they apparently had to by the way), and I'm down to only generating them  ~96K this year.That's over $600K I've made them in the last four years.

How about AIPOD? I understand they're for-profit, but it's a bloody online school. They can't afford a percent of that 497K dollars that a full-time year would generate for them?

That's almost 700K dollars of PROFIT (with regards to salary) that was generated by ME. Just me, no one else, not counting any other classes taught by anyone else.

And, I might add, I'm a damn good teacher. I'm sure I'm a fair shade better than the teachers that were hired to supplement my hours. They should be able to afford having good teachers and make the ethical choice of ensuring they are healthy enough to stick around for a while and continue to balance their budgets. WHERE DOES ALL OF THAT MONEY GO?!

So if you're someone that has heard about what happened to me, I urge you to not use it as an example of why the ACA is bad. I do not support using it as an example of why the ACA is bad. I think the ACA is a good thing and I think that businesses are always going to take the path of maximum profit, which in many ways is a bad thing, and as we're seeing more and more everyday, eventually unsustainable.



I've included my calculations for people that doubt the numbers.

Calculations:


YSU:
$6469.5 per credit hour instructional fee for average-size class (25 students).
-$800     per credit hour instructional fee paid to instructor
$5669.5 per credit hour remaining after the instructor is paid.

$5669.5    per credit hour
* 30          credit hours I worked
$170,085 per year generated for YSU after I was paid
Note: A full-time load is 24 credit hours, someone in that position would make them $136,068 per year.

AIPOD:
$487      per credit hour instructional fee per student
* 15       average class size
* 4         credits per class
$29,220 per class

$29,220  per class
-$1600   instructor salary per class
$27,620 per class remaining after the instructor is paid

$27,620   per class
* 2           classes per half-quarter "full-time load"
* 9           half-quarters per year
$497,160 per year after the instructor is paid

These numbers were all accurate as of April 2.