Monday, October 19, 2015

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens Movie Poster Review

I'm more than a little excited for Star Wars.

Tonight, they're dropping the first full-length theatrical trailer during Monday Night Football. In anticipation, they released the movie poster yesterday.



Above is the wide version of the poster. In it, we see Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Chewbacca from the original films and a bevy of newbies. From left to right, the ones I know are Kylo Ren, Rey, BB8, R2D2, Poe Dameron, C-3PO, Captain Phasma, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, the Millenium Falcon, and Finn. The Death Star looking thing in the background I've heard is known as the Starkiller Base. This is purportedly an entire planet that's been converted into a weapon capable of destroying star systems.

Here's the movie poster version:

I think this poster is gorgeous. I've heard people say it's too busy with too many characters, but I think this poster holds a lot of the promise of the new film. Epic and large and worthy of a space opera. The parallels of Rey's staff and Kylo Ren's lightsaber and then Finn's lightsaber on the opposite side is perfect. Han and Leia look awesome, and Captain Phasma on the bottom with a legion of storm troopers looks as imposing as anything I've ever seen in Star Wars. There's so much going on, but I want a lot going on. I want the promise of the original trilogy to pay off in this new film.

I don't think I could be more excited for a film, but I thought that yesterday and this poster has made me even more excited.

The trailer drops tonight! What do you think of the poster?