Sunday, October 25, 2015

"The Martian" by Andy Weir

In anticipation of the recent Hollywood film directed by Ridley Scott, I decided to purchase and read The Martian by Andy Weir. I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. The story is basically a castaway on Mars story, but both the science feels real and the humor (mostly from the smartass character of Mark Watney) is funny and consistent throughout. It's one of the best sci-fi stories I've read in years, and I hope that both its publication and the subsequent movie will inspire the next generation to move off planet.


If you're a fan of stories like Apollo 13 and if you like smartass characters, I really can't recommend The Martian enough. It's quick paced and if you're an avid reader, you'll probably finish it in a day or two. I know that I couldn't put it down once I started it.

Have you read or seen The Martian? What did you think? I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie myself. It looks great and I've heard Ridley Scott is back to form.