Friday, December 18, 2015

No Spoiler Review of Star Wars: The Force Awakens

To the extent that it is possible, I will do my best to reveal no spoilers in this review. To the extent that it is possible, because from a certain perspective, just saying whether I like it or not could be considered a spoiler, and my opinions on the trailers after having seen the full film could be spoilery.

So, STAR WARS!







First, I'm just going to say a category, give a grade for the category, and then some further explanation. Both the grade and the further explanation will be in separate buttons so you have to click to see what you want and I will limit main plot spoilers as much as possible even after clicking (NOTE: If you're reading this in email, the buttons may not hide anything).

Acting:



Person to Person Action:



Vehicle Action:



New Characters:



Character Relationships:



Dialogue:



Plot:



Practical Effects:



Digital Effects:



Overall Visuals:



Nostalgia:



Levels of Cheese:



How Much Did the Trailers Reveal?



How Did It Function as a Reboot/Refresh?



I'm guessing my review so far hasn't swung your opinion one way or the other. If you were the type that wants to see Star Wars, you've probably already seen it. I will say that if you're waiting for the crowds to thin, you're going to risk some rather large spoilers and it's going to be a while before they thin. I know many of my friends have sworn off social media until they see it, and more people than I've ever heard of are planning on seeing it on a SUNDAY (and it will probably beat the all-time highest Sunday box office records in the same way it's annihilating other box office records).

In terms of a little more general judgements, The Force Awakens is incalculably better than the prequel trilogy is. It suffers from none of the drawbacks of those films and improves on the special effects. I think it compares favorably to the original trilogy and that many people younger than me will like it more than the original trilogy while many people older than me will place it as their 3rd or 4th favorite.

For me, it doesn't have the legendary untouchable status that the original trilogy does, but it is about as good of a save for the franchise as could be imagined. I probably like it more than the original trilogy, but I don't love it as much as the original trilogy. I cannot wait to see where it goes from here.

Overall, Episode VII: The Force Awakens was thoroughly entertaining, thoroughly enjoyable, and thoroughly Star Wars.

What do you think? Have you seen Star Wars yet? Was this format for the review helpful in avoiding spoilers? Let me know what you think below, and stay tuned for my Spoiler Review.

(I'll delete any comments that intentionally spoil the movie, but no guarantee I will have seen it between when they are posted and when you look at them, so if you're concerned, stay out of the comments until you've seen the movie).