Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Erased is a must watch for Winter 2016!

Holy cow! How could I have overlooked this one? For some reason the description of a mangaka traveling through time to try to save a child abduction victim he knew as a child just came off as stupid in my head.

I could not have been more wrong. I was hooked 5 minutes into the first episode.

I feverishly devoured the first 5 episodes that are presently out and am waiting the sixth with bated breath.

Guys, it's so good. Sooo good.


The fact that the protagonist, Satoru (藤沼 悟), has such an OP ability, but not having any control over it and always using it to help others AND in using it, things tend to backlash on him makes for a fucking TENSE drama/thriller/mystery.

The more Satoru raises the stakes and tries to help the people he couldn't help before, the more you're dreading what is to come, especially when the backlash starts to affect those around him.

My biggest fear is for a Butterfly Effect ending (director's cut). The Japanese title maybe supports this because it is titled, Boku Dake ga Inai Machi or The Town Where Only I Am Missing (僕だけがいない街). That's a pretty loaded title guys! It would be fitting too because Satoru takes so much on himself, but I don't want it to be fitting! Give me a good ending dammit!

Ach! The manga the anime is based on is ongoing! That's not a good sign for us! I hope we get a satisfying ending this season!

But still, the show is so good. Every episode is good. Watch it! (It's on Crunchyroll).

Trailer:


Oh, quick summary! But I mean, I thought it sounded stupid, but here you go. Satoru is a 29 year old failed mangaka (comic book writer) that has the special ability to go back in time a few minutes. He has no control over this ability, but it activates any time something bad is about to happen around him. He goes back in time, tries to stop whatever is happening, and if he is lucky, it doesn't mess with him. If he is unlucky, it has a negative effect on him. It never benefits him, but he continues to help others. 

When he was a kid, there was a girl in his hometown that was abducted; he remembers thinking that if he had just asked her to walk home with him, he could have saved her. Well, after a traumatic event, his ability activates and sends him all the way back to when he was a kid: his reasoning is that the events of his childhood led to this traumatic event, so he has to change the events then to fix the events in the present. While he's there, he decides to try to save the girl he couldn't save before. 

It's easily the best show of the season that I've seen, and this genre isn't even one that I am particularly keyed in to. Watch it already.