Monday, July 18, 2016

Long time, no see

Hi everyone,

Life's been hectic the last few months and especially the last month, but that's no excuse.

I was getting big numbers with superhero news and my anime reviews and that occupied my imagination for a while, but I'm back on track with my mathematics books and I've made significant progress in the Cross Adventures books. (On the personal front, I've made significant progress with my house as well).

And don't worry, I am still a huge anime/superhero fan that will continue to give my opinion. Coming up we have a look back at the Spring 2016 season of anime and a look forward to the Summer 2016 season; an essay about the suitability of the three main actors that have played Peter Parker/Spider-Man on the big screen; and who knows what bombshells Comic-Con will bring us (hopefully more than Star Wars Celebration did—don't get me wrong, I'm as big a Rebels fan as anyone and I love Thrawn, but seriously nothing for fans of anything else?).

On the math front, I'm signing a contract with GeoGebra tonight after one last read-through so all of my math books planned for the next year will have GeoGebra graphs and content. I'm super excited for the opportunity and I hope that my books can help people and find success so that I'm able to keep producing them (at an increased schedule and production quality).

The contract takes effect August 1st so I'm shooting for the first part of the PreCalculus book to be released then. I really like it and I think it's not like any other precalculus book I've seen, so I hope it will find an audience. I have about 10 days to finalize the first part so I'll keep you posted on that.

With my urban fantasy Cross Adventures, the next biggest hurdle is deciding just how much cursing, violence, and sex will be included. Not sure if I should ease the audience in with her ridiculous personality or throw them in the deep end . . . well, now that I've written that, it makes perfect sense that I should throw you in the deep end, right?

As far as you horror fans o' mine; I have so many different stories in so many different stages of development, but thus far none of them have yelled out to me to be put in that final form ready for publishing, and I don't want to dilute the brand by releasing stories just to release stories. Everything I release I want to be as polished as possible, especially since professional covers are not an option—for a while at least. Anything I release under my horror brand I want to be first a good story and second first to give you nightmares / creep you the eff out.

Even though my gremlins story only superficially resembles the premise in Lights Out and I'd probably get a nice boost to release it now because of that movie, I don't want to muddy the waters. It's bad enough that Warm Bodies sounds enough like my zombie story that people drew the comparison and I finished the story at least an entire year before Warm Bodies was a thing (although I think I only beat it by a few months by the time it was published).

Anyway, I hate to continue to disappoint my epic fantasy fans, but War of the Ages is too big and too complicated with too little returns to do as more than just a hobby. I'll keep writing in the universe and when I get short stories that function on their own, I'm more than happy to release them, but I've stopped production on any of the main series novels. There's no market for it and until there is, I have to prioritize genres that sell (nonfiction, horror, urban fantasy) and only write in WotA when I have a free night every blue moon or so. If you are interested in reading the first book in the WotA main series that was pulled off the shelves, shoot me an email or comment and we'll work something out. I still plan on expanding it, but I'm not going to deny people that want to read my life's work. (also, technically, Cross Adventures happens in the same universe as WotA, so if you're super into the setting, here's the setting minus 30,000 years or so; you may see some familiar faces)

So that's what's going on with me. What's going on with you?